It feels so good to have one room finished in this epic remodel.
You may remember that we are remodeling our kitchen and both bathrooms. Part of this reno involved moving the washer/ dryer from the mudroom back to the main bath, where they were located when our home was built in 1952.
Sounds pretty simple right? Just unhook them and move them in? I wish! Plumbing had to be re-done, the old dryer vent was not up to code and had to be moved, and the built-in cabinets that were covering the old laundry area had to be dismantled and rebuilt. Not to mention I was losing lots of storage space 😦
You may see the “before” photos in the last few posts.
Here are some “after” photos:
The knobs/ pulls are from my old kitchen cabinets and were reused on the cabinetry in here. That little area to the right of the dryer is the only place I could fit a hamper. Luckily it is on wheels and I can roll it out of the way when I need to get to my stuff. I would still like to find a vintage one.
The old doors from the built-ins were cut down and reused on the vanity:
This is the area that needs some very shallow cabinetry for toiletries, either wall hung or on the floor. I am still looking.
I am having a hard time decorating in here since it is now my laundry room AND bathroom. In addition to losing so much storage, I had to make room for laundry supplies.
Is it perfect? No. Is it better? Yes!
I could not see gutting this space to “update” it. Moving the washer/ dryer back in there also gave me much more room for flexibility in my new kitchen plan!
Stay tuned. The drywall starts getting hung in the kitchen area tomorrow, bright and early 🙂
The demo continues.
As much as I dislike the mess, the history of my kitchen has me intrigued. How cool (and many times sad) to find what is hidden behind the years of upgrades in our Mid-Century modest home.
Hubby is busy extending the soffit in the kitchen to accommodate the new upper cabinets. A few of the older (we thought original) ceiling tile had to be removed. What we found was that the ceiling had been painted shiny copper at one time!
Maybe it was painted to match this copper tile back splash that was also hidden long ago?
You can see part of the original varnished upper cabinets before they met with a paint brush. I bet they looked pretty spiffy with that copper tile back splash, a copper painted ceiling and the adjoining knotty pine mud room! I like to imagine that it had copper Colonial style lighting, cool bark cloth curtains and maybe copper or black colonial hardware on those pretty wood cabinets. Maybe the Mrs. here had copper canisters? Or maybe a weather vane wall hanging?
There is also evidence of salmon, minty green, red and bright turquoise paint on the walls. Sadly, at some point all the original ranch style trim was painted. Sigh…
This wall between the kitchen and mudroom has us confused:
We think the smaller doorway to the left was added later? I cannot imagine the original plans called for a single doorway within inches of a double doorway.
All of the plaster had to be removed so the contractor could see what he was dealing with structurally. The header will have to be replaced so we can remove that center post.
This wall is going to be opened up to the living room to accommodate a snack bar area. We will then be able to view the fireplace from the kitchen and it will help with serving when we are entertaining. The bar top will match the retro patterned Wilsonart counters going in the kitchen.
All of the beige back splash tiles came down, along with much of the plaster behind it. The walls will have to be repaired. We will be using the same Wilsonart laminate for the back splash.
Has anyone ever seen copper painted ceilings (or walls)? Was that a common mid-century finish or maybe just something done on a whim by an adventurous homeowner?
As you know, we have begun our multi-room reno here at the ranch. Since we are gutting the kitchen, the washer and dryer have to be moved to a new location to make way for the new kitchen design.
Here they are now in the knotty pine mud room adjacent to the kitchen:
We have decided to move them back to their original location in the hall bath. From what we can tell, they have been in 3 different areas of the home: the hall bath, the basement work room and the kitchen/ mud room.
Our decision to move them to the hall bath was really an accident. Shortly after moving in, I kept getting a whiff of gas near the front door and on the porch. It simply did not make sense that there would be gas there, as the only other gas appliances in the house at the time were the water heater and boiler in the basement.
Hubby got out his flashlight and bravely went into the crawl space. What he found was an old gas line running to my hall bathroom. It had only been shut off, not capped. There was the origin of the leaking gas.
He also found that there were water supply lines and a drain. We started to sleuth around in the bathroom in the area of the floor-to-ceiling built ins.
We removed the bottom drawers and found that the tile floor extended to the wall under them and that the tiled wall was still behind. The cabinets must have been a later addition.
This week DH dismantled them and here is what we found:
So this is where the washer and dryer will be located! That bathroom is plenty big and moving them back in there allows me more cabinets for my kitchen. Yay!
We will need the plumber to come and move the exhaust for the dryer. The old one was vented into a pipe that went up through the roof. That is no longer “code” here so he will run a new line down to the crawl space and out the foundation wall. He explained that the moisture from the wet clothes froze in the winter and clogged the pipe. It required getting up on the roof to clear it out. Not something we want to do with snow on the roof!
Stay tuned for our work in progress.